Electricity is deadly. We all know this, yet most of us have been taught some basic incorrect thoughts towards electricity. I was taught that 110 VAC will hurt and 220 VAC and 440 VAC will seriously damage or kill me. Then I went to an ongoing education electrical course and the master electrician teaching the course said, “If you have been shocked and you’re still alive, you’re really lucky.” So I listened up. “The real killer is the AMPS. If 1/10th of 1 AMP crosses your heart, you’re done. The smallest circuit breaker we have in a standard electric panel is 15 AMPs. 1/10 of 1 AMP, 15 AMP breaker, going to take the breaker a long time to shut off if its not an AFCI breaker.” Things to think about.
I was taking the panel cover off an electric panel in the basement at an inspection. The client, a woman of about 50 was standing about 10’ away from me. She says to me, “You know what one of my jobs was when I was a kid?” “No, what?” “My dad did a lot of work on the house. When he was going to do something with the electric panel, he would hand me a baseball bat and tell me, “Honey, if I get shocked, you hit me as hard as you can.” I asked her if she had to go to therapy for that.